I rarely get political on Facebook or my blog. While I love politics and following them (both sides, although I lean very heavily to one side), I don't like to talk about it on the internet much. It's because I'm a people pleaser and I don't want to offend anyone. But this morning my heart is heavy and I have many thoughts running through my head.
I firmly believe that our country has been preserved graciously by the hand of God. Many great things have come to pass in this land, but I think we have taken a turn, and not for the better. I love our country and the freedoms we enjoy; I don't want to move to Canada.
Last night, I was following the election very carefully, hitting refresh on my phone every couple of minutes. I was about to put my girls to bed when I saw the news. I rushed to the tv and it was confirmed. To be honest, I cried. I was devastated. My heart went out to the Romney's, and then I turned to look at my girls. They were wrestling and playing obliviously. I cried a bit more for their future. Our world is going downhill fast. Morals are at an all-time low, the debt is at an all-time high, and I don't like where things are going. I don't want my girls to grow up and feel entitled, I want them to know that there are consequences to your actions, I want them to work hard for what they earn, even if it isn't as much as the person sitting next to them, and I want to be proud of what they make of their lives.
I have an even more of an uphill battle to fight at home. I have the privilege to rear my children in righteousness. It's even more important now to have family prayer and scripture study and to have real conversations as to our core beliefs and values. I want to teach them respect for everyone, even if they believe differently than we do. I want them to know that it's only by clinging to that iron rod and holding fast to our standards that we can get true happiness in this life and the next.
The past few hours, I have had the song "God Bless America" running through my head. The words are my prayer this morning. It has given me some faith to know that we will not be left alone during harder times and God truly will sustain us if we give our all.
God bless America
Land that I love.
Stand be side her
And guide her
Through the night with a light
From above.
From the mountains
To the prairie
To the ocean, white with foam.
God bless America
My home sweet home!
God bless America
My home sweet home!
Sent from my Galaxy S®III

Beautifully said. I was much more upset about it than I thought I would be. I couldn't stop thinking about my little baby and the world I was bringing her into. All we can do is teach our children correct principles and to be good, respectful members of society.
ReplyDeleteI second this! I hate talking about politics, and I do a whole lot more listening than talking actually. But I am not pleased with many of the decisions made by the majority last night. I think legalizing marijuana is a big step in the wrong direction, and once we start that way there isn't much hope of going back.
ReplyDeleteMitt is the man. Apart of me is grateful to not live in Washington. I miss that place, but I do NOT miss the liberal hippies. I am not surprised they legalized marriage or marijuana use. It disgusts me and frustrates me. Long live the south! Living amongst conservatives is refreshing!
ReplyDeleteAlyse, I love you and am proud to call you my sister. I'm grateful you are my brothers wife and the mother of my two cute nieces. You are a righteous woman with good values and a good head on your shoulders (and have a cute style) and I love that you are a Huskinson with us. I'm glad Mike chose you as his wife. He made a wise decision. Love you.
ReplyDelete