I had the best group of friends. Not all of them are pictured up there, but each of them played a huge role in who I am today. The girl I am sitting by, Laura, saved me. And I don't think she even knows it. When I was 13, my family moved and I knew no one. At a Young Womens activity one night, I was sitting in the foyer, alone, listening to the other kids play and have fun. I remember she came out and said something like, "We need you to come play, too!" So I did. And she became one of my best friends through junior high and high school. Through her, I met everyone else.
We did some crazy Mormon kid stuff, like lighting off fireworks, playing fugitive, day long dates, mafia, water uno and fun random dance parties. We also did more important tings, like seminary, firesides, youth conferences and temple trips. I had the best group of friends. Without Laura, I really don't know if I would be in the same place I am now.
One thing that was spoken of tonight was how teenagers alway feel the need to fit in and are unsure of myself. Now, while some serious kudos go to my parents on this, a lot go to my friends. I always felt welcome and accepted as who I was and they still pushed me to become better. They always supported me in what I chose to do, which in large part because of them, were mostly good things.
Would I do high school over again? Yes! And I wouldn't change a thing. It was fun. I learned a lot about me and who I wanted to become.
I am still friends and keep in close contact with most of these kids, and if we don't, its not because of a falling out, but rather our lives just went down different roads.
I really love and respect these people and all of the choices they have made. Thanks!
I also hope my kids have friends like I do!
Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G

Amen amen amen!! High school was a blast and I felt like I had a great group of friends. I made right choices to lead me in the direction I am today, and I am grateful. Even my good non-member friends played a huge role in my life and even pushed me to be even better and be a better example to others. I wasn't probably a HUGE missionary to them, as in sharing the gospel (and I kick myself everyday now for not doing it), but I think by my example, they learned things too. It is great to have FB and blogs to keep in touch. I feel SO far away from anyone that knew me before my college days, so at least you get to see most of these people from time to time!! My husband Ryan doesn't believe I was a super crazy girl before him. I tell him, TRUST me. I had wayyy too much fun sometimes and us mormon kids knew how to have the right fun!!
ReplyDeleteNo fair! You made me tear up! I always think about how awesome our group of friends was/is too. It makes me sad that we all live so far apart. I love to look back at all of our pictures. Including pictures from the beach trip that we took right when you moved in! We sure did need you to join us. :) The only thing that maybe wasn't such a good idea was water uno... Poor Paul...
ReplyDeleteI miss you my dear. You are wonderful!