Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Back in the Saddle

So, its been a while, since I've blogged. But, things have been quiet around here. Well, if school, dance, play dates, church responsibilities, skiing, a few trips, and lots of life add up to quiet, then, yes, quiet. To be clear, the farm has been quiet. I have a lot of updates to do for our family, but if you are really curious about that, follow me on Instagram @maallhuskinson. I post there pretty frequently. And you don't want to see the same pictures on there, facebook, and here...BORING. Also, I have a farm account @kwhuskinson. I love posting things there!

It was a nice winter. We loved having dad around and we especially loved skiing. All 5 of us got on the hill this year. SUCCESS!


Back to the farm! Things really start to pick up on the farm here at the end of March. Mike and Derrick get the tractors ready to go and go through the different implements to make sure things are running pretty smoothly. The Bossman, Randy (my father-in-law), lets them know when to start. Last week, we turned the dirt and got it ready to plant the grain, then we planted grain. This week we are cutting seed potatoes and planting them. I will do a post all about seed potatoes and planting very soon.

I'm going to get real for a bit. Farming is hard. Long days. Exhausting. And, I'm just at home, I don't even do any of the farming work! Luckily, my kids are pretty good, really, I'm pretty lucky. But it is a hard transition going from having 4 or 5 months where Mike is home and can help me get kids out the door, and can help during the day, and then is home by 5 for the evening. The past three weeks, I've felt like a single parent and I am ever grateful that we don't work on Sundays. It isn't exactly a day of rest with three small kids, but I have Mike around to help me out. But being the one to keep the house running (laundry, cleaning, cooking, running kids around) and keep the kids happy and entertained is hard. I didn't grow up in an environment very similar to this, so even after 3 years, this all feels new to me. My dad was home every night by 5:30. As young kids, we were very scheduled and pretty much knew what to expect all the time. With farming comes a bit of uncertainty. Things happen: Tires on pivots go flat, a truck or tractor brakes down, someone almost burns down a hill, and sometimes you just have to get as much done as you can. I thrive on a schedule, and I can have meltdowns when my schedule is changed. So.... As you can probably surmise from all of this is that being a farmer's wife is hard in a way I never expected. Every occupation has its hard things. I'm not saying this is the hardest ever. I know it's not. Winter, that's why we started farming. We can play and go and do a lot as a family. It is fun to watch him work (anyone catch my insta post today? Go look at that and you'll understand)

But let me whine during my adjustment period. mmmkay? And someone bring me all the ice cream and cupcakes so I can eat my feelings. And just let me watch Netflix. Netflix is always there for me.

I'll be doing a few more posts with real farming information. Do  you have any questions? Any thing you've always wanted to know about the exclusive world of farming? Let me know! I will try to answer them, or if I don't know, I'll ask our resident farmer.

2 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job and so is Mike and it's OK to have the occasional meltdown. I think we all have those from time to time. The kids are happy from all your posts so continue to enjoy the life you and Mike have made for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyse you are doing a fantastic job. Enjoy each season, they bring experiences that make you stronger. Your family is extremely lucky to have both you and Mike.

    ReplyDelete