Last night was a night from you-know-where.....
Leah was beyond exhausted to start out. She is still sleeping ok. And if we catch her before she is melting down, then she does great. Last night, she had melted. We put her down using our regular routine and then she started screaming. We left her in there because usually, she will put herself to sleep after a bit. But we heard a noise.
"Mike, is she knocking on the door?"
My sister says, "no, it's just Roxie wagging her tail and she's hitting something."
Mike replies, "Leah is just hitting her crib."
It gets quiet, and I got very suspicious. I went upstairs and found Leah in Addie's room, on her bed, trying to wake "sissy" up. Yes, friends, she had climbed out of her crib. She did it 3 more times. We tried making her just sleep on the ground but she kept coming out of her room. We put one of those door locks on the door knob, but she took it apart (what the crap?).
Finally, I had Mike rock her to sleep because it was 11 and she would just keep climbing out of her bed.
Fast forward to 3 in the morning.... our door flies open and we hear, "good morning, dada!" So I put her to sleep. Then again at 5, "good morning, dada."
So..... HELP!! What should we do? I am thinking about moving her to a regular bed, mostly for safety. I don't want her to fall out of her crib in the middle of the night. But Addie never did this. She just learned about 3 weeks ago that she could come downstairs alone to go use the toilet. But Leah is a totally different kid. I need some serious advice or I will pull out my hair and go crazy.
Sent from my Galaxy S®III

Adelia did a similar thing, except she'd try to climb out, then get her chubby knee stuck between the crib bars and start shrieking. We moved her to a bed right away. But as soon as she was in the bed then she'd open the door and come out. We put a child lock on, she pulled it apart. Yup. Eventually we just bungee corded the outside of her door knob to the closet door right next to it. That kept her in the room at least, although for the first little while she fell asleep all over the place, on the floor, in her chair, etc. And we let her be. We also learned really quickly to put up everything that she could get into. One night she emptied an entire package of wipes, another night dumped her lotion all over the place, you get the idea. We usually took the bungee cord off when we went up to bed, so that she wasn't locked in all night. I've also heard of people putting up a baby gate in the doorway to keep kids in. I never tried that, but it seems like it could work if she's not a climber. Good luck! I hate sleep training almost as much as I hate potty training! :)
ReplyDeleteWe've done something similar to Krystal when Max transitioned to a big kid bed. (And I would move her to a toddler/twin bed so she doesn't fall out and hurt herself.) When he figured out that he could get out of bed and out of his room, we bungee corded his door shut. (We just called it "locking his door" and took it off once he went to sleep.) It kept him in his room, and he figured out that he just needed to go to sleep in his bed. If she keeps getting out of bed multiple times, a baby gate might be a better answer than figuring out a way to keep the door shut.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any practical advice to offer (her own bed sounds smart!, but I LOVE your girls. And I can't believe they are so big!
ReplyDelete