Wednesday, December 7, 2011

December 7 1941

This is my grandpa Kenneth Doty, fresh out of high school and fresh in the Navy. I think he looks pretty handsome. 60 years ago, this date changed my Grandpa's life. Because of the attacks on Pearl Harbor, my Grandpa ended up joining the navy.
He flew in a plan with the pilot and co-pilot. I only know them as Willie and Jenkie. My grandpa was the bomber. They flew in a TBF Avenger. They were shot down over the Sea of Japan and rescued by the USS Gabilan after floating in the sea for a few hours. All three survived. I love that we have video of my grandpa being rescued and climbing up onto the deck of that submarine.

I love to hear my grandpa telling his stories from his time in the navy. He has quite a few models of his plane and the aircraft carriers he was on. I love looking at his medals and through his scrapbooks. I am grateful for his service. He is a great patriot and loves this country and instilled that love in his children and his grandchildren. I remember asking him to come speak to my class in 5th grade and to tell us about his experience. I was so proud of him, and I still am.

I am grateful for all those who left their homes to protect this great country during World War II. I am grateful for those that continue to serve our country and protect our liberties.

1 comment: